Posted to alt.home.repair
Ralph Mowery Ralph Mowery is offline

Default Shut off water when washer not in use?

"Aaron Fude" wrote in message
Hi,

A plumber told me that it's a good idea to shut off water from the
washer when it's not in use because the flexible lines aren't rated to
continuous pressure.

A. Is that true?
B. Does the same apply to the gas line for the dryer?

Many thanks in advance!

Aaron

If the hoses are not rated for the pressure they must not be very good
hoses. I am sure there are millions of homes with the hoses that never get
cut off. There are some valves you can install to cut the water off when
the washer is not in use or will detect a big leak and cut off the water.
If I was going on vacation I would cut off the water going to them or to the
hole house. I did have a hose to develope a leak while I was out of town
one day.
I now cut off the well pump (did not have that option at the other house) if
I go off overnight or longer.

The gas line is only under a couple of pounds of presure. Much less than 10
pounds so you do not have to worry about that line breaking.