Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic
John Larkin John Larkin is offline

Default Tocord

On Tue, 02 Sep 2008 12:46:49 +0100, Eeyore
wrote:

John Larkin wrote:

It's only music. I doesn't matter.

Depends on your tastes and personality.

Have you never experienced that tingle run down your spine when listening to
truly good music ?

Graham

I suppose I did when I was very young. Lately, I don't like most
music, which I find either predictably boring and too slow, or jingl-y
annoying, so I don't listen to music voluntarily. I'm not quite at the
Horatio Hornblower level (one of the few characters in literature who
could not stand music in any form) but close. Maybe the problem is
that most music, like most TV, movies, novels, newspapers, and
restaurant food, is commercialized swill.

But that doesn't change the behavior of transmission lines. When I
drive NMR gradient coils, I *measure* the transmision like effects to
PPM precision.

Music is dangerous. It has sufficient emotional power for a lot of
people that it switches off their ability to think. It's used to
propagate a lot of nonsense, both harmless and dangerous.

The ubiquity of music in modern society is repulsive. The Beatles, or
Carly Simon, or even Bob Dylan for pete's sake, are now background
music at Safeway, interrupted randomly by "Attention shoppers..."

John