Posted to alt.home.repair
AZ Nomad[_2_] AZ Nomad[_2_] is offline

Default 2-prong to 3-prong

On Tue, 2 Sep 2008 03:59:02 +0200 (CEST), JJ wrote:
(chuckferguson) wrote in
:

-------------------------------------

Hi,
I install home computers, and recently I was in a beautiful old

house
to install a machine but found there were only two-prong ungrounded
outlets. I didn't know what else I could do, so I removed the
grounding prongs from a six-splitter and plugged that into the

wall. I
plugged the computer and the LCD display into the six-splitter. Can
someone tell me if this is dangerous and if so how dangerous?
Thanks very much.
chuck

That wasn't smart; also really dangerous. Adapters. That's what
they're made for. Plug the surge strip into a properly grounded
adapter. Most surge strips have a light to tell u if it's grounded
anyway.

An adapter isn't going to provide a ground. All it will do is connect
the power strip's ground to the screw of the outlet which won't be
grounded.