Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] salty@dog.com is offline

Default Craftsman Garage door opener problem

On Mon, 01 Sep 2008 21:53:31 -0400, Claude Hopper

On Sun, 31 Aug 2008 23:12:01 +0000 (UTC), (Rich
Greenberg) wrote:

In article ,
SBH wrote:
I'm trying to help a friend who has a Craftsman garage door opener which
just stopped working. According to him, I have not been to see it yet, the
main controller in the garage and all the remotes do not work. The main
controller is blinking a green light and the unit is humming. He said the
light on the unit turns on if he pushes the main controller light button.
Therefore, it's receiving power. The only thing I can think of without
seeing it is the door is hung up or the motor is shot, since it's humming.
Assuming that it is new enough to have the safety feecheers, check the
light beam and the wireing to the two light units. If a wire has come
loose (which happened to mine recently) or one of the two lights has
been bumped so the two units no longer "see" each other, that could do
it. Other possibilities could be that one of the limit switches is
shorted, or the motor starting capacitor is shot.

Unhook the door via the safety release rope then, see if the trolley
moves.

Take the cover off the unit and look at the plastic worm gear set.

Look at the top bearing and bearing housing to see if they are still
in working order.

Sounds like it's running and the gears are stripped.

Yeah, I posted the info on how to fix that a couple days ago. It's
probably the single most popular failure of those Craftsman/Liftmaster
openers.