Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Craftsman Garage door opener problem

I'm trying to help a friend who has a Craftsman garage door opener which
just stopped working. According to him, I have not been to see it yet, the
main controller in the garage and all the remotes do not work. The main
controller is blinking a green light and the unit is humming. He said the
light on the unit turns on if he pushes the main controller light button.
Therefore, it's receiving power. The only thing I can think of without
seeing it is the door is hung up or the motor is shot, since it's humming.

Any other advice greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
SBH wrote:
I'm trying to help a friend who has a Craftsman garage door opener which
just stopped working. According to him, I have not been to see it yet, the
main controller in the garage and all the remotes do not work. The main
controller is blinking a green light and the unit is humming. He said the
light on the unit turns on if he pushes the main controller light button.
Therefore, it's receiving power. The only thing I can think of without
seeing it is the door is hung up or the motor is shot, since it's humming.

Assuming that it is new enough to have the safety feecheers, check the
light beam and the wireing to the two light units. If a wire has come
loose (which happened to mine recently) or one of the two lights has
been bumped so the two units no longer "see" each other, that could do
it. Other possibilities could be that one of the limit switches is
shorted, or the motor starting capacitor is shot.

--
Rich Greenberg N Ft Myers, FL, USA richgr atsign panix.com + 1 239 543 1353
Canines:Val, Red, Shasta & Casey (RIP), Red & Zero, Siberians Owner:Chinook-L
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 31 Aug 2008 19:01:52 -0400, "SBH"
wrote:

I'm trying to help a friend who has a Craftsman garage door opener which
just stopped working. According to him, I have not been to see it yet, the
main controller in the garage and all the remotes do not work. The main
controller is blinking a green light and the unit is humming. He said the
light on the unit turns on if he pushes the main controller light button.
Therefore, it's receiving power. The only thing I can think of without
seeing it is the door is hung up or the motor is shot, since it's humming.

Any other advice greatly appreciated.

Thanks

I think that if you go see it, chances are excellent that the humming
sound is the motor running, but no longer connected to the drive.
There is a plastic set of gears that fail. The teeth get brittle and
shear off like corn from a cob. They sell a kit with all the parts you
need including the right grease for the gears. It's a pretty easy job
if you are at all mechanically inclined. You can get the kit from many
online garage door companies, or even from Sears parts. The opener is
made by Liftmaster. The repair kit costs about the same from Sears as
it does from anyone else. You might even find it on the shelf at Home
Depot or a hardware store. Very common.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"SBH" wrote in message
I'm trying to help a friend who has a Craftsman garage door opener which
just stopped working. According to him, I have not been to see it yet, the
main controller in the garage and all the remotes do not work. The main
controller is blinking a green light and the unit is humming. He said the
light on the unit turns on if he pushes the main controller light button.
Therefore, it's receiving power. The only thing I can think of without
seeing it is the door is hung up or the motor is shot, since it's humming.

Any other advice greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Gee, da ya think the humming tells you it's got power too?? And if it's
humming, it's probably so hot by now that it's just this side of bursting
into flames. Tell the fool to pull the plug or kill the power before he gets
to see the red trucks pull up in front of his house....

Here's another idea-- record the humming, run it through Garage Band on your
Mac-- and release it as a hot new single....

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Flatus Johnson" fj@nonet wrote in message

Gee, da ya think the humming tells you it's got power too?? And if it's
humming, it's probably so hot by now that it's just this side of bursting
into flames. Tell the fool to pull the plug or kill the power before he
gets to see the red trucks pull up in front of his house....

Here's another idea-- record the humming, run it through Garage Band on
your Mac-- and release it as a hot new single....

Wow, it must make you feel bold and superior with your belittling attacks of
pathetic advice. My guess is your life is already in a pathetic inferior
state you feel the need of attempting to belittle others in order to make
you feel worthy.

I'll settle for sincere and polite advice since I was sincere and polite in
asking. You can't play nice, stay the **** home.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Recently had a Craftsman opener do the exact same thing. It WAS the gear
set as the worm gear teeth broke off. Follow the above posters
recommendations (or, unfortunately, do as I did and replace the opener
(before I knew the parts kit was available).
Posted to alt.home.repair

"SBH" wrote in message

"Flatus Johnson" fj@nonet wrote in message

Gee, da ya think the humming tells you it's got power too?? And if it's
humming, it's probably so hot by now that it's just this side of bursting
into flames. Tell the fool to pull the plug or kill the power before he
gets to see the red trucks pull up in front of his house....

Here's another idea-- record the humming, run it through Garage Band on
your Mac-- and release it as a hot new single....

Wow, it must make you feel bold and superior with your belittling attacks
of pathetic advice. My guess is your life is already in a pathetic
inferior state you feel the need of attempting to belittle others in order
to make you feel worthy.

I'll settle for sincere and polite advice since I was sincere and polite
in asking. You can't play nice, stay the **** home.

You got sincere advice you dim-bulb, pull the plug before it overheats and
then bursts into flame...and learn how to express yourself without resorting
to profanity. Youngsters read this stuff too.....

Posted to alt.home.repair

Many have a drive belt. Pull the cover off, the belt may be loose, broken,
or otherwise not doing its job.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

I'm trying to help a friend who has a Craftsman garage door opener which
just stopped working. According to him, I have not been to see it yet, the
main controller in the garage and all the remotes do not work. The main
controller is blinking a green light and the unit is humming. He said the
light on the unit turns on if he pushes the main controller light button.
Therefore, it's receiving power. The only thing I can think of without
seeing it is the door is hung up or the motor is shot, since it's humming.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Flatus Johnson" fj@nonet wrote in message
. ..
"SBH" wrote in message

You got sincere advice you dim-bulb, pull the plug before it overheats and
then bursts into flame...and learn how to express yourself without
resorting to profanity. Youngsters read this stuff too.....

Parental control, dip****. I can receive much better sincere advice from a
dog compared to you. Next time, provide advice which I don't already know
and try it without the almighty thumping of your chest. Weak idiots such as
yourself who hide behind the keyboard can only feel superior with anonymity.

Here's my expressing to an idiot like you...kiss my ass.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 01 Sep 2008 21:53:31 -0400, Claude Hopper

On Sun, 31 Aug 2008 23:12:01 +0000 (UTC), (Rich
Greenberg) wrote:

In article ,
SBH wrote:
[...]

Unhook the door via the safety release rope then, see if the trolley
moves.

Take the cover off the unit and look at the plastic worm gear set.

Look at the top bearing and bearing housing to see if they are still
in working order.

Sounds like it's running and the gears are stripped.

Yeah, I posted the info on how to fix that a couple days ago. It's
probably the single most popular failure of those Craftsman/Liftmaster
openers.

Posted to alt.home.repair

on 9/2/2008 6:29 AM said the following:
On Mon, 01 Sep 2008 21:53:31 -0400, Claude Hopper

On Sun, 31 Aug 2008 23:12:01 +0000 (UTC),
(Rich
Greenberg) wrote:

In article ,
SBH wrote:

[...]

I had to replace the gears in my Craftsman opener, but it was 20 years
old at the time.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
Posted to alt.home.repair

thomer41 had written this in response to
http://www.thestuccocompany.com/main...em-328562-.htm
:
I have the exact same problem but no humming sound. When I press the
button I here a click but nothing happens. Any ideas?

-------------------------------------
SBH wrote:

I'm trying to help a friend who has a Craftsman garage door opener
which
just stopped working. According to him, I have not been to see it yet,
the
main controller in the garage and all the remotes do not work. The main

controller is blinking a green light and the unit is humming. He said
the
light on the unit turns on if he pushes the main controller light
button.
Therefore, it's receiving power. The only thing I can think of without
seeing it is the door is hung up or the motor is shot, since it's
humming.

Any other advice greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Posted to alt.home.repair

I'm trying to help a friend who has a Craftsman garage door opener
which just stopped working. According to him, I have not been to see it
yet,
the main controller in the garage and all the remotes do not work. The
main
controller is blinking a green light and the unit is humming. He said
the light on the unit turns on if he pushes the main controller light
button. Therefore, it's receiving power.

Broken or strippped belt ?