Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] misterjustme@gmail.com is offline

Default 2-prong to 3-prong

On Sep 1, 2:40*pm, (chuckferguson)
wrote:
-------------------------------------

Hi,
I install home computers, and recently I was in a beautiful old house to
install a machine but found there were only two-prong ungrounded outlets.
I didn't know what else I could do, so I removed the grounding prongs from
a six-splitter and plugged that into the wall. I plugged the computer and
the LCD display into the six-splitter. Can someone tell me if this is
dangerous and if so how dangerous?
Thanks very much.
chuck

Delivered via *http://www.thestuccocompany.com/

Installing a two prong to three prong adapter (or a "grounding"
adapter) is usually the same thing as cutting the ground prong off of
a cord; if an equipment grounding conductor was present then a three
prong receptacle would have been installed. I have never run across a
two prong receptacle installed on a branch circuit that had an
equipment grounding conducter present. For those that insist a conduit
acts as the equipment grounding conductor; how many homes have conduit
installed for branch circuits? The correct course of action would be
to install a GFCI receptacle and mark it "No Equipment Ground" or
install an equipment grounding conductor. This is beyond the scope of
an installer of PC's and you should have made that recomendation.