Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Roger Shoaf Roger Shoaf is offline

Default Rotary table/indexer

Terry,

Perhaps you are approaching the problem the hard way. First check a place
that has stock gears. Often these can be had and then easily modified to
fit in most applications and the hard work is all done.

--

Roger Shoaf

they come up with this striped stuff.

"Terry Coombs" wrote in message
Steve Lusardi wrote:
Wrong answer. You need a proper dividing head and tail stock to
match. These come with chucks and are quite stiff. An indexing table
has no chuck. If the gears are helical or hypoid the dividing head
should be differential as well, but that also require a drive setup
from the table leadscrew to a gearcase with changeable gears. By your
description of your mill, it will not be capable of this. So all you
can make will be straight tooth gears.

Zackly !

You did not state whether your
mill is a horizontal or vertical, but the mill must be horizontal or
a vertical with a special horizontal drive, because the only cutters
that I know of that are available for the different tooth patterns
and pitch diameters come in 8 cutter sets for horizontal arbors.
Steve

It's a vertical tabletop model . I want to make my own cutters on the
lathe/mill, and cut straight cut gears to replace some with broken teeth

for
my Logan Lathe . There will be other tasks which require a rotating table

,
not necessarily indexed that closely . I'm looking for FLEXIBILITY in
addition to CAPABILITY . Most rotary tables also have a MT hole to mount
centers , and slots that can mount a chuck if needed . Widen your field of
view , Steve , you seem to have a case of tunnel vision .
--
Snag
'90 Ultra "Strider"