Posted to uk.d-i-y
dennis@home dennis@home is offline

Default Induction Motors and Broadband Routers

"TheOldFellow" wrote in message
On Mon, 1 Sep 2008 13:16:09 +0100
"dennis@home" wrote:

"TheOldFellow" wrote in message
My broadband router drops out (DSL light goes out) every time I run
either my planer or my radial-arm saw. Nothing else seems to do it,
even the 3KW router with a big bit. These machines both have induction
motors, which I guess have a big start-up current.

I doubt if the start up current has any effect on the router, mine
survives
visible brown outs without any problems.
It may be RFI, its cheap and easy to put a ferrite on the mains lead to
try
to reduce RFI. Maplin sell them for a couple of quid.
If that doesn't work then you may well have to invest quite a lot of
effort
in filters.

Thanks. This the most probable cause as the the unfiltered phone cable
runs quite a way near the T&E ring in the loft. The router runs with a
noise margin of just 6.4 Db, so any significant extra noise will drop
it, I guess - I'm 6 Km from the exchange.

I already have a filtered NTE5e plate, but have not got around to doing
the rewire of the phones yet. Clearly that's the first job!

I probably should get some RFI ferrites too, next time I'm in Maplins.
Glad I asked.

Don't put them on the phone line.. BB doesn't like them.