Posted to alt.home.repair
Patrick C Patrick C is offline

Default Getting sewer & water want to keep well too.

wrote in message
On Sep 1, 10:28 am, Caesar Romano wrote:
On Mon, 01 Sep 2008 08:48:33 -0400, Blattus Slafaly
wrote Re Getting sewer & water
want to keep well too.:

Patrick C wrote:
Wondering if we keep our well will it freeze due to non use in the
winter? Is there some maintenance that has to be done when shutting
down. It's a submersible and has a standing pipe, about a foot, in the
yard. They allow us to keep it for outdoor use.

I would refuse public water and sewer. You will pay for that and it
doubles every 4 years.

Good points. Around here county water is $4/1000 gals. To get 1000
gals from my well costs about $0.08 which includes amortizing the $600
it costs me to replace the pump and pressure tank every 20 years.

Actually, in many cases, it's a moot point, because you can't "refuse"
public water and sewer. Many times when they run new sewers or
public water down the street, you are required to hook up to it,
whether you like it or not.

As to the well freezing because it's not used, that seems very
unlikely. And if it could happen, then something is very wrong with
the well plumbing to begin with. What would happen before, if you
went away for a week's vacation in Winter?

It never froze when we went for a week or so but don't remember how cold it
was. We live in northern Illinois.