Posted to alt.home.repair
metspitzer metspitzer is offline

Default 3 prong outlet, which way is up?

On Mon, 1 Sep 2008 11:57:46 -0400, "TWayne"
wrote:

Actually, a partially unplugged cord like that could be a fire hazard in
its own right since contact area of the blades are seriously minimized
depending on how far it's come apart. Those coins only alerted you to a
possible fire hazard, actually. And I'll be that couldn't happen again
in a million years. Just for grins, I tried sliding some coins down the
wall just now and couldn't get any to hit the prongs. However, Murphy
says ... .

How many tries do I get?

Can I put a square night stand, like the ones commonly used beside the
bed, in front of the outlet?

How about using a square end table?

How about a chest of drawers?

Can I use a metal tray or a coat hanger?

It may never start a fire in a home, but it would certainly cause
enough of a spark to be careful in a place where they are using
oxygen.