Posted to alt.home.repair
TWayne TWayne is offline

Default 3 prong outlet, which way is up?

On Aug 29, 11:25?pm, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Aug 28, 4:59?pm, "john" wrote:

Does the 2008 NEC specify which way to orient 3-prong outlets?

Should it be

ground on
tophttp://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/4/42/Electrical_o...

or

ground on
bottomhttp://images.jupiterimages.com/common/detail/00/34/23433400.jpg

?

The tradition seems to be ground on bottom, but I heard it is safer
to have
ground on top so falling coins are less likely to short out a
loosely
plugged in plug.

I just so happened to have to unplug the freezer in my garage this
evening. Right angle plug, ground up. That would explain why I
installed the receptacle ground up.

had some change fall off a tablew and fell just right to a ground down
outlet with plug not in all the way a few years ago.

what a spark display, it took a long time for the breaker to trip. i
nearly turned them all to ground up after this exciting event.

Actually, a partially unplugged cord like that could be a fire hazard in
its own right since contact area of the blades are seriously minimized
depending on how far it's come apart. Those coins only alerted you to a
possible fire hazard, actually. And I'll be that couldn't happen again
in a million years. Just for grins, I tried sliding some coins down the
wall just now and couldn't get any to hit the prongs. However, Murphy
says ... .

have seen some devices with accordion like rubber covers to preevent
this, bet one day they are code

I just look at the cord that's going to plug into it; if it seems to
want a particular direction, that's how I install the receptacle. No
codes except possibly some few local codes seem to care about it.

In the bedroom where the mattress is nearby the window ac, I use those
screw-on plug covers to insure they can't be rubbed loose or pushed
around should the bed move over and touch them. They only cost a buck
or so apiece and work like a charm.

Cheers,

Twayne