Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Induction Motors and Broadband Routers

TheOldFellow formulated on Monday :
My broadband router drops out (DSL light goes out) every time I run
either my planer or my radial-arm saw. Nothing else seems to do it,
even the 3KW router with a big bit. These machines both have induction
motors, which I guess have a big start-up current.

I was planning to put in a new feed with 10mm T&E from the CU (about
35 metres - all in the loft of the bungalow) to the workshop, but it
occurs to me to ask here first as there may be other things I can do to
help protect the router. The router is currently on the same ring main
as the workshop.

R.

Two possibilities, or maybe a combination of both...

1. The startup current of the motors is pulling the mains supply down
to the point where the router is no longer able to function and resets.

2. The interference from the surge of current is getting into the
telephone line or router via the LAN wiring causing it to have to
resync itself.

For 1. you could try a small UPS or even a small 12v battery if the
router is able to work on that voltage.

For 2. make sure telephone and LAN cable are well spaced away from
mains wiring and perhaps add some ferrite rings around these cables.

--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)