Posted to uk.d-i-y
Pete C ukdiy Pete C ukdiy is offline

Default Induction Motors and Broadband Routers

On Sep 1, 12:58 pm, TheOldFellow wrote:
My broadband router drops out (DSL light goes out) every time I run
either my planer or my radial-arm saw. Nothing else seems to do it,
even the 3KW router with a big bit. These machines both have induction
motors, which I guess have a big start-up current.

I was planning to put in a new feed with 10mm T&E from the CU (about
35 metres - all in the loft of the bungalow) to the workshop, but it
occurs to me to ask here first as there may be other things I can do to
help protect the router. The router is currently on the same ring main
as the workshop.

If a filament lamp is plugged in next to the router does it dip when
the motor starts?

cheers,
Pete.