Posted to alt.home.repair
HeyBub[_3_] HeyBub[_3_] is offline

Default How To Measure Roof

wrote:
First thanks for the input about my home equity inquiry.

My first improvement will be a new roof. I want to be sure I'm not
paying for more bundles of shingles than I will actually need.

So, how do I measure my roof to determine how many bundles will be
needed?

My house is a conventional rectangular ranch (30'x60') and has a
10'x12' utility room attached on the end of back of house, giving it
an L shape

Both are conventional A-roof construction and the utility room is tied
to the main part of house (roof).

Also, I've heard differing opinions as to whether or not to have old
shingles removed vs just layering the new roof over the old. Does it
matter? Or is it safe and efficient to put new over old?

Thanks very much.

Do your best guess on number of bundles. The store from which you buy them
will almost certainly take back unopened bundles (or sell you some more if
you underestimate). Of course you should verify that policy first, but any
reputable supplier should be more than happy to accommodate you.

Tearing off is always best - for several reasons.

1. It gives you an opportunity to inspect, and repair if necessary, areas
not otherwise visible.
2. It decreases the weight on the roof and, to some degree, the heat buildup
on the new shingles.
3. It's easier to do a good job on flashings, vents, and gutters.

The downside is, of course, the cost. There's a lot of labor involved in
removing the old shingles and usually some charge to haul off and dispose of
the junk.