Posted to alt.home.repair
ransley ransley is offline

Default New Generator will not start

On Aug 31, 7:07*am, Blattus Slafaly
wrote:
hr(bob) wrote:
On Aug 30, 6:03 pm, Caesar Romano wrote:
On Sat, 30 Aug 2008 17:51:47 -0400, "WendyC88"
wrote Re New Generator will not
start:

"HeyBub" wrote in message
news:XqCdnZ2OmIAkLCTVnZ2dnUVZ_jSdnZ2d@earthlink .com...
WendyC88 wrote:
Hi, was hoping you could help or point me in the right direction. *I
have a coleman powermate 6250w generator that has been sitting in a
box for about 4 years, no gas or old was ever put in. *Today, we go
to fire it up, fill it with oil and fuel, bit it will not start. *The
plug is new and when holding near the block, we can see spark plus it
has plenty of compression. *It sounds like it wants to catch, but it
won't. *Fuel valve is on and I can smell gas like it is getting
flooded. *Any suggestions or anything we might have missed? *Thanks!
It has both a fuel shut-off valve (which must be turned) AND an electrical
switch that you have to flip.
The switch on mine is close to the fuel shut-off valve.
In your case, I suspect the switch is the culprit.
Thanks both. *Neighbor came over and said something about fuel inlet in the
carb has crystallized or something from non-use. *Left over gas from the
manufacturer test. *He sprayed a little carb cleaner in the choke and it
fired right up. *Only weird now is it runs great, but won't run if the choke
is turn from choke to run. *I conks out.
My guess is that the fuel outlet orifice is still a bit clogged. Try
some more carb cleaner, let the cleaner set a while, then start up and
let it run a while.- Hide quoted text -

Liberal use of carb cleaner will help, also, if you run it with some
carb cleaner in the gasoline for a while that will also soften up the
clog. *Just keep running it with the choke closed, and gradually open
the choke, every 5 or 10 minutes, until it will run with the choke
open.

*Be sure to use Stabil in the gasoline when you put the generator
away, and either keep the gas tank filled and use Stabil, or run it
until the gasoline runs out. *If you do the latter, as the gasoline
gets low you will need to start *closing the choke until it is fully
closed and the generator stops. *That way you have drained enough
gasoline out of the system that it should not clog again. *But, you
must be sure that all gasoline is gone from the tank. *If there are
some irregularities in the bottom of the gas tank, even after it stops
running, If you *should *accidently move the generator, some of that
gas can get into the carburetor and clog it. *So, as it gets low on
gas, move the generator around a bit to get ALL of the gas out of the
tank and into the carburetor.

Bob Hofmann

It should not be clogged, He DID say that it was new in the box with NO
OIL AND NO GAS in it. How the hell can it be clogged? Malfunctioning
maybe. Defective possible. People should learn how to read before
answering.

--
Blattus Slafaly *? 3 * * *7/8- Hide quoted text -

If it wont run with choke off, it isnt New because carb is clogged.
Machines are test run before being sold. His carb needs a cleaning.