Posted to alt.home.repair
Caesar Romano Caesar Romano is offline

Default New Generator will not start

On Sat, 30 Aug 2008 17:51:47 -0400, "WendyC88"
wrote Re New Generator will not
start:

"HeyBub" wrote in message
om...
WendyC88 wrote:
Hi, was hoping you could help or point me in the right direction. I
have a coleman powermate 6250w generator that has been sitting in a
box for about 4 years, no gas or old was ever put in. Today, we go
to fire it up, fill it with oil and fuel, bit it will not start. The
plug is new and when holding near the block, we can see spark plus it
has plenty of compression. It sounds like it wants to catch, but it
won't. Fuel valve is on and I can smell gas like it is getting
flooded. Any suggestions or anything we might have missed? Thanks!

It has both a fuel shut-off valve (which must be turned) AND an electrical
switch that you have to flip.

The switch on mine is close to the fuel shut-off valve.

In your case, I suspect the switch is the culprit.

Thanks both. Neighbor came over and said something about fuel inlet in the
carb has crystallized or something from non-use. Left over gas from the
manufacturer test. He sprayed a little carb cleaner in the choke and it
fired right up. Only weird now is it runs great, but won't run if the choke
is turn from choke to run. I conks out.

My guess is that the fuel outlet orifice is still a bit clogged. Try
some more carb cleaner, let the cleaner set a while, then start up and
let it run a while.