Posted to alt.home.repair
Dave + Gloria Dave + Gloria is offline

Default 3 prong outlet, which way is up?

wrote in message
On Aug 29, 11:25?pm, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Aug 28, 4:59?pm, "john" wrote:

Does the 2008 NEC specify which way to orient 3-prong outlets?

Should it be

ground on
tophttp://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/4/42/Electrical_o...

or

ground on
bottomhttp://images.jupiterimages.com/common/detail/00/34/23433400.jpg

?

The tradition seems to be ground on bottom, but I heard it is safer to
have
ground on top so falling coins are less likely to short out a loosely
plugged in plug.

I just so happened to have to unplug the freezer in my garage this
evening. Right angle plug, ground up. That would explain why I
installed the receptacle ground up.

had some change fall off a tablew and fell just right to a ground down
outlet with plug not in all the way a few years ago.

what a spark display, it took a long time for the breaker to trip. i
nearly turned them all to ground up after this exciting event.

have seen some devices with accordion like rubber covers to preevent
this, bet one day they are code

Already is in the real world! Has been for years in Brit.