Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM[_2_] RBM[_2_] is offline

Default New Generator will not start

WendyC88 wrote:
Hi, was hoping you could help or point me in the right direction. I
have a coleman powermate 6250w generator that has been sitting in a box
for about 4 years, no gas or old was ever put in. Today, we go to fire
it up, fill it with oil and fuel, bit it will not start. The plug is
new and when holding near the block, we can see spark plus it has plenty
of compression. It sounds like it wants to catch, but it won't. Fuel
valve is on and I can smell gas like it is getting flooded. Any
suggestions or anything we might have missed? Thanks!

I would try removing the plug, dump in a little gas, replace the plug
and see if it fires. If it does, you may have a stuck carburetor float