Posted to alt.home.repair

Default 3 prong outlet, which way is up?

On Aug 29, 11:25�pm, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Aug 28, 4:59�pm, "john" wrote:

Does the 2008 NEC specify which way to orient 3-prong outlets?

Should it be

ground on tophttp://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/4/42/Electrical_o...

or

ground on bottomhttp://images.jupiterimages.com/common/detail/00/34/23433400.jpg

?

The tradition seems to be ground on bottom, but I heard it is safer to have
ground on top so falling coins are less likely to short out a loosely
plugged in plug.

I just so happened to have to unplug the freezer in my garage this
evening. Right angle plug, ground up. That would explain why I
installed the receptacle ground up.

had some change fall off a tablew and fell just right to a ground down
outlet with plug not in all the way a few years ago.

what a spark display, it took a long time for the breaker to trip. i
nearly turned them all to ground up after this exciting event.

have seen some devices with accordion like rubber covers to preevent
this, bet one day they are code