Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Joseph Gwinn Joseph Gwinn is offline

Default I give up ........... never say never.

In article ,
"azotic" wrote:

wrote in message
On Aug 29, 8:42 pm, "Ed Huntress" wrote:

The Trident missile has a 4000 nm range.

Dan

Why did our military buy a missile with a 4000 nanometer range ?

So they can hide in the vastness of the oceans, safe from a surprise
strike. It's one leg of the deterrence triad: land (the silos under the
Nebraska cornfields), sea (nuclear subs with missiles), and air
(Strategic Air Command).

The theory of it is that one must arrange things so that all but the
most rabid of *Soviet* right-wingers knows that a surprise attack cannot
work, and will surely result in their homeland glowing softly in the
dark, so nobody is tempted to even try.

Joe Gwinn