Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Bruce L. Bergman Bruce L. Bergman is offline

Default Catalytic converters

On Fri, 29 Aug 2008 20:00:32 -0400, Gerald Miller wrote:
On Fri, 29 Aug 2008, wrote:

There's a business idea just waiting for someone to do it- sized
manhole and drain covers! get 'em made oversize and find a bigass (but
short bed) lathe and turn to size.

Back in 1974, the electrical sub-contractor wanted to substitute 24"
covers for the specified 30" covers on electrical manholes constructed
as part of an airfield contract. When asked for justification for my
refusal, I told him "neither the airfield electrician, or my
electrical inspector (both of whom were present) will fit through a
24" hole, there was no more discussion on the topic.

"Well, there's your problem!" Wheel bearing grease and a plunger...

I'd be more worried about finding a manhole sealing ring "bathtub"
that fits if you buy the non-standard holes. That tub can be a
godsend if you are down in a hole with live connections open, the hole
is at a low spot or even in the gutter, and it starts raining...

GTE used to be paranoid - air up the innertube seal AND cement it
down with quick-setting grout. Then again, if we had a few 4200-pair
paper trunk cables open down there, the screw-up potential is huge.

-- Bruce --