Posted to alt.home.repair
Anagram Anagram is offline

Default 3 prong outlet, which way is up?

DerbyDad03 wrote in
:

Years ago I worked at a factory where the electricians were required
to install all outlets ground up. I was told that since there was more
of a chance that a metal object would come in contact with a loose
plug from the top than from the bottom, and since in the vast majority
of the installations the type of cord would not be an issue, they
opted for the "safer" method.

In other words, if it makes the factory just a tad bit safer, and
really has no other impact (other then writing it up in the procedure
manual) then why not?

It's not necessarily safer. One of the biggest dangers is fires caused by
heat from loose connections. Anything that increases the odds of bringing
your attention to a loose connection is likely to be safer for that reason,
even if it results in a short and a circuit breaker tripping.