Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
SteveB SteveB is offline

Default I give up ........... never say never.

I ****ing give up on the press in the United States. Reporting that all oil
platforms are being evacuated in the Gulf of Mexico. Saying that the RNC
should postpone their convention because of the hurricane.

In the first case, oil platforms are NEVER totally evacuated during ANY
hurricane. I know. I've been through three hurricanes on platforms. I
worked in the Gulf of Mexico for eight years on rigs, barges and boats.
When was the last time you heard of a hurricane blowing over a oil platform?
I don't believe it can be done, as they are engineered for waves forty feet
higher than a cat 5 storm. Lots of them keep on producing, and some even
keep on drilling, shutting down only when the winds reach a certain level,
then resuming drilling when they subside. It is almost an impossibility to
leave a platform totally abandoned and unattended, as someone has to be
there to actuate safety equipment in certain scenarios. In many cases (been
there, done that) personnel are trapped on the platforms because they miss
the escape window. They can't fly out because choppers are grounded, and
swinging over by manropes is Russian roulette.

This only shows the ignorance of the press and the yellow dog journalism of
the sensationalism rags they have become. And the stupidity of the American
public as to life in the real world.

And please, if anyone can, explain to me how the delaying of the Republican
convention, which is IIRC several miles away from the hurricane's path,
would help anything. Oh, it could be called a humanitarian deed, since
"normal humanitarians" would never conceive having a convention with a
hurricane going on. Well, let's take it to the next level, and just wait
until the weather is clear ALL OVER THE ****ING WORLD so we can show that
the Republicans are as kind and caring as the Democrats profess to be.
Would Barry, Hillary, Billary, and the gang have canceled theirs? Only if
it were in New Orleans or Houston.

Oh, well, the Repubics are getting the last laugh, picking up a HUGE (sorry
I can't put it in larger type font, and make HUGE red and bold) voter block
of women voters.

Barry, bend over, put your head between your legs, and kiss your ass goodbye
back home. I never believed in my lifetime I would see anyone stupider than
Jimmy Carter. Never say never.

Steve

--
"...the man who really counts in the world is the doer, not the mere
critic-the man who actually does the work, even if roughly and imperfectly,