Posted to alt.home.repair
metspitzer metspitzer is offline

Default 3 prong outlet, which way is up?

Someone here has already given an iron clad example.

In hospitals and most commercial buildings, the outlet covers are
stainless steel. In these buildings there is constant construction
going on. Cover screws can work loose from vibration.

Up is better, and required in patient care areas, because of falling
metal objects. ie surgical trays, surgical instruments, paper clips
and yes, coat hangers.

On Fri, 29 Aug 2008 13:18:24 -0500, "Steve Barker DLT"
wrote:

It's soooooooooo far fetched, it's doubtful it actually happened.

"David Nebenzahl" wrote in message
rs.com...

I never paid much attention but just a couple months ago a metal
hangar fell behind a dresser. There was a big flash and a breaker
blew. The plug behind the dresser was not plugged in all the way and
luck would have it the hanger shorted out the contacts.

There you have it. I think this one data point is enough to tilt the
argument in favor of ground pin up. Since it's otherwise arbitrary, why
not do the safer thing?