Posted to alt.home.repair
Square Peg Square Peg is offline

Default Any way to secure tiny screw on reading glasses?

On Wed, 27 Aug 2008 23:35:53 -0700, Smitty Two
wrote:

In article ,
Square Peg wrote:

On Wed, 27 Aug 2008 09:03:15 -0700, Smitty Two
wrote:

In article ,
Square Peg wrote:

On Tue, 26 Aug 2008 22:08:57 -0700, Smitty Two
wrote:

Use any small pair of pliers to judiciously gall the threads of the
screw just enough so that there's some increased friction with the
threads of the nut. You don't need no stinking fancy optometrist pliers.

I tried that without success. The bolt doesn't protrude through the
nut enough to grab and I was not able to squash the nut. Steve's
center punch idea might work.

Uh, *remove* the screw first, squash threads, then reinstall.

Oh, I get it. ;-)

I guess the plan would be to leave a few threads at the end intact to
allow the nut to get a foothold.

The problem will be getting the nut to plow thru the mangled threads.
The other end of the bolt is a smooth round brad-like head and it fits
into a wire loop. There is nothing like a hex bolt head to grab. I had
a bit of trouble getting the nut tight enough with clean threads as
the bolt wold also turn.

I'm going to give loctite a try first, then on to more draconian
measures.

Thanks

All right then. Are the eyeglass frames plastic?

Uh, they are *titanium* reading glasses, so I think the frames are
made of, er, ... titanium?

I destroyed about
$10,000 worth of freshly minted medical devices a few years back, with
LocTite. It isn't compatible with thermoplastics. Eats away at it over
the course of several days, and the plastic more or less disintegrates.

I wasn't planning to dip the glasses in a tub of Loctite -- just put a
tiny drop (as tiny as possible) on the end of each bolt.