Posted to alt.home.repair
SteveB SteveB is offline

Default Any way to secure tiny screw on reading glasses?

"Square Peg" wrote in message
I have several of Magnivision Titanium reading glasses. They are by
far the best I've tried, and I've tried just about every brand there
is.

http://www.magnivision.com/collection.cfm?catid=8

There is just one little problem. The nose piece and the side pieces
are attached to the lenses with tiny bolts with a tiny nut on the
inside. Over time (few months), these work loose. If I catch them soon
enough, I can tighten them and they will stay put for another few
months. If I am too slow, the glasses fall apart.

The ones for the nose piece are much more likely to loosen, probably
because they get wiggled more.

I have tried superglue, but it really doesn't hold.

Can anyone recommend a way to secure these nuts? If it is permament,
so much the better. I don't know why they don't use rivets. I will
never want to loosen these nuts.

Take them where you bought them. They may prefer some way, i.e. Loctite,
SuperGlue, clear nail polish. There may be some reason that one of the
things suggested here might not work well, like discoloring the metal,
eating up any plastic it touches, etc. Something that one would not
normally think of, but in this application would be critical or detrimental
enough not to be a consideration. If it were just a nut and bolt, there
could be lots of suggestions that would probably work. Since this is a tiny
item, with unknown coatings, and unknown properties, if it were me, I'd take
it to where I bought it. They may even have a tube of GlassGoo or something
that is made specifically for that.

BTW, I have three pairs of titanium glasses, and there's nothing better.
But I do have to watch those little screws.

Steve