Posted to alt.home.repair
Square Peg Square Peg is offline

Default Any way to secure tiny screw on reading glasses?

On Wed, 27 Aug 2008 15:36:07 -0500, zxcvbob
wrote:

Square Peg wrote:

Can anyone recommend a way to secure these nuts? If it is permament,
so much the better. I don't know why they don't use rivets. I will
never want to loosen these nuts.

Green LockTite. It is permanent (like the red) but it also is
penetrating. So you can use apply it after assembling -- probably with
a toothpick in this case.

That's 2 recommendations for green and one for blue. The Loctite site
has this information about the three colors of "threadlockers": green,
red, and blue:

Green: For smaller fasteners. Doesn't say anything about being
penetrating or permanent.
http://www.loctiteproducts.com/produ...id=48&plid=695

Red: For larger fasteners. Seems to be more permanent. Requires heat
and hand tools to remove.
http://www.loctiteproducts.com/produ...id=48&plid=154

Blue: For medium-size fasteners. Appears to be less permanent.
http://www.loctiteproducts.com/produ...id=48&plid=153

None of them say anything about being penetrating.

The green seems harder to find. So far, one hardware store and one
auto-supply store had only the red and the blue. I finally found it at
a Napa store, but it's 10 miles away.

So, I went to Amazon. They have all three and better descriptions:

Green:
http://www.amazon.com/Loctite-Thread...7198 6&sr=8-1

Loctite 290 Green threadlocker is a low viscosity threadlocking liquid
that wicks along the threadsof pre-assembled fasteners to secure them
in place. Since it is applied after assembly preventive maintenance
procedures are simplified. Ideal for fasteners ranging from #2 to 1/2"
(2.2 to 12mm) in size. Localized heating and hand tools needed for
disassembly. Suggested applications: Bolts on alternators air
conditioning belts and distributor clamps carburetor adjustment screws
and hairline cracks.

It's bit unsettling that the photo is of a *red* package ;-)

Red:
http://www.amazon.com/Loctite-Thread...72297&sr= 8-1

Loctite 272 Red withstands temperatures to 450 Degrees F. This
high-temp/High-strength threadlocker is formulated for heavy-duty
applications. Prevents bolts up to 1-1/2" (36mm) from loosening due to
shock severe vibration and heatstress. An exclusive formulation for
newer engines and high performance applications where extreme
temperature resistance is required. removable with heat and hand
tools. Suggested applications: Camshaft sprocket bolts crankshaft
bolts idler bearings press fit filler tubes transmission input and
output shaft threads ring gear and shock bolts.

Blue:
http://www.amazon.com/Henkel-Loctite...9872406&sr=8-1

Loctite Threadlocker Blue 242 locks threaded metal fasteners against
loosening from machine vibration. It prevents leaks and rusting of
metal threads for 1/4- to 3/4-inch (6 mm to 20 mm) nuts and bolts.
Metal parts can be removed with hand tools for easy disassembly if
necessary. Sets in 20 minutes and cures in 24 hours. Especially useful
for small motors, mowers and many types of power equipment.

It looks like green is the one for this job. Thanks.