Posted to alt.home.repair

Default electrician, breaker and amps question regarding cost...

"HeyBub" wrote in message
m...
wrote:
markm75 wrote:
I'm not 100% up on conduit.. but by conduit, i'm assuming you mean
cable ran inside a shielded tube essentially.. as of now this is how
it is, with the 30amp wiring from a year ago.. so it would be conduit
again i assume.

Conduit is a metal or plastic pipe through which the wiring is run.

The $260 breaker sounds more realistic.. so $260 + $130 wire... $390
total, plus $100 per hour labor.. assume 2 hours max.. thats still
$590, not $1100.. but perhaps the conduit is pricey too..

Conduit is cheap. Fishing it through walls takes way more than 2
hours. You're paying for 1/2 day of labor for 2 people...

But he's already got a cable. Isn't it a simple matter of attaching the
new wire to the old wire and giving the combination a yank from the other
end?

Well, okay, bends and such. and maybe the new wire won't FIT in the
existing conduit, but, shucks, seems like most of the work is already
done.

There are always unknowns but the $1100 sounds high even with an expensive
breaker. My electrician is $65/hour and he does not charge travel time
since he lives 10 minutes away. I'd guess it is a $600 or less job based on
past experience. OTOH, if I called an electrician out of the phone book it
may well be $1000. A one shot job always costs more than having a regular
relationship with a tradesman.