Posted to alt.home.repair
Mark Lloyd Mark Lloyd is offline

Default really old phone lines

On Tue, 26 Aug 2008 22:03:24 -0500, Jim Redelfs
wrote:

In article ,
Mark Lloyd wrote:

They always used the center-pair for the first one.

Makes sense. For some reason, ethernet cables avoid using
the center pair.

Yeah? Well the center pins on an ethernet card (in a computer) are
shorted, for whatever THAT's worth.

Back in the dial-up days, I lost count of the times I would clear a hard
short trouble report by removing the RJ11 plug from the ethernet port in
the back of the computer and reconnect it into the nearby, internal
modem IN port.

I checker the loose ethernet cards I had around. 3 of them (all
100Mbps) and the pins shorted. the other 2 (10Mbps) did not. Maybe
it's a speed indicator.
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

"The government of the United States is not, in
any sense, founded on the Christian religion."