Posted to alt.home.repair
Tony Reid Tony Reid is offline

Default Refrigerator dies - try to fix or get a new one?

"dgk" wrote in message
On Wed, 27 Aug 2008 04:47:48 -0700, "Tony Reid"
wrote:

"Phisherman" wrote in message
. ..
On Mon, 25 Aug 2008 08:26:05 -0400, dgk wrote:

I'm guessing, with no real knowledge, that the compressor went.
There
was a burning smell, the fuse blew, and when I ran an extension to
the
refrigerator to get that working, smoke came from the big black
thing
at the bottom. So, I'm guessing compressor. Is that likely?

If so, a new compressor is around $180, much cheaper than a new
refrig. The parts guy (Sears) says that anyone can replace the
compressor, that I can get a do-it-yourself guide for $15.

A new model would be around $600 and a big pain. Is replacing a
compressor so hard?

The age of the refrigerator that needs repair should be the deciding
factor.

We replaced a 20 year-old unit in June that was working well. Our July
electric bill dropped by 22%. Don't know how much is due to the frig,
but I suspect most. I'm anxious to see the bill for August. Looks
like
it will pay for itself in about 2 years.

It was bought in 1999. Years go by fast these days, I thought it was
newer. So, does it pay to fix it? I think not. The gasket is getting
older, maybe I'll fix whatever is wrong and it something else will go
wrong in six more months and destroy all the food again.

This one was already a ton more efficient than the one that it
replaced, but I don't think they've gotten any more efficient in the
last 9 years so that isn't a factor.

I found a decent Friidaire floor model. Nothing fancy but that means
less to go wrong. For $75, it got delivered, installed, and the old
one removed. Hopefully this one will be good for at least 9 more
years.

You should see a solid reduction in electricity usage. According to
PG&E "if it's over 10 years old, it could be using up to three times
more energy than newer models".