Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] salty@dog.com is offline

Default really old phone lines

On Tue, 26 Aug 2008 11:08:45 -0400, "TWayne"
wrote:

On Mon, 25 Aug 2008 16:00:42 -0400, wrote:

On Mon, 25 Aug 2008 13:27:54 -0400,
wrote:

New installations are no longer done with JK 2-pair They now use cat
5. The OP has described the wiring in their new OLD house as being
2-pair with one of the second pair clipped off or missing.

The old JK only had 3 wires. The 4th (black) wire showed up with the
Princess phone. As has been pointed out here, the yellow was for
party line selective ringing.

The Princess phone was introduced in the late 1950's. So 4 wire JK has
been around at least 50 years now. I personally know of several houses
that have telco installed wiring from the 1940's that has 4 wire JK.
In 4 wire (two pair) systems, the wires are named as ring and tip ONE
and ring and tip TWO. If that's what you happen to have and you are on
a party line, then, sure, use the yellow wire for selective ringing.
That is NOT however it's official designation ever since the advent of
2-pair wiring - OVER FIFTY YEARS AGO.

Meanwhile, I answered the OP's question correctly, and corrected some
misinformation promulgated by others.

See ya.

No, you didn't.

Really? So telling them that the only 2 wires they need to hook up
their phone are the red and green ones was incorrect? You are beyond
stupid.