Posted to alt.home.repair
dgk dgk is offline

Default Refrigerator dies - try to fix or get a new one?

On Tue, 26 Aug 2008 06:41:25 -0700 (PDT), Mark
wrote:

On Aug 25, 11:13*pm, phil scott wrote:
On Aug 25, 4:57*pm, "Dave + Gloria"
wrote:

Maybe it got hot enough to burn the black paint on the outside."Mark" wrote in message

Am I the only one wondering how smoke comes out of a sealed
comrpessor?

BINGO!

Mark

Ive seen em blow out the sealed wire terminal penetrations .. makes
all kinds of black smoke, blows oil all over the place.. * or they
just leak.

most likely though is an exploded start capacitor and start relay..
thats external.

Phil scott

which is relativly easy for a good DIY guy to fix

so the OP should check this out, if he is lucky and it is the cap or
relay, he CAN probably fix it on the cheap

OP, you need to determine exactly where the smoke came from ...look
for burned parts near the compressor.

Mark

Thanks, but I went and got a decent new one. It would just cost too
much money and time for me to find out what was wrong and fix it.
That's often the problem, just to find out what's wrong costs too much
money.