Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] 12334@abc.com is offline

Default Refrigerator dies - try to fix or get a new one?

On Mon, 25 Aug 2008 08:26:05 -0400, dgk wrote:

I'm guessing, with no real knowledge, that the compressor went. There
was a burning smell, the fuse blew, and when I ran an extension to the
refrigerator to get that working, smoke came from the big black thing
at the bottom. So, I'm guessing compressor. Is that likely?

If so, a new compressor is around $180, much cheaper than a new
refrig. The parts guy (Sears) says that anyone can replace the
compressor, that I can get a do-it-yourself guide for $15.

A new model would be around $600 and a big pain. Is replacing a
compressor so hard?

Your repair guy is a liar. Replacing the compressor is not a diy job.
You need a refrigerant recovery machine and tank, and epa license to
be messing with and/or purchasing refrigerant, a torch set to weld the
new compressor in, a vacum pump to pull the air out and some new
refrigerant to put back in. Good luck with all that.