Posted to alt.home.repair
Mark Lloyd Mark Lloyd is offline

Default really old phone lines

On Tue, 26 Aug 2008 11:10:48 -0400, "TWayne"
wrote:

On Mon, 25 Aug 2008 16:00:42 -0400, wrote:

On Mon, 25 Aug 2008 13:27:54 -0400,
wrote:

New installations are no longer done with JK 2-pair They now use cat
5. The OP has described the wiring in their new OLD house as being
2-pair with one of the second pair clipped off or missing.

The old JK only had 3 wires. The 4th (black) wire showed up with the
Princess phone. As has been pointed out here, the yellow was for
party line selective ringing.

That's what I thought it was for.

Also, I remember one house built in 1969 that had 6 wire cable:

orange
orange stripe on white
green
green stripe on white
blue
blue stripe on white

The only wires connected were the 2 in use (I don't remember which 2
it was).

They always used the center-pair for the first one.

Makes sense. For some reason, ethernet cables avoid using the center
pair.

That way no matter
what happened with polarities, there would at least always be a
connection. Something I found in an old, POTS history book once.

These 3 pairs weren't in a row, so "center pair" here is meaningless.
It would mans something on a jack, but not this non-connected cable.

I never got to see the connections to the only jack installed when the
house was now. There were provisions for jacks in the bedrooms. Wire
was installed, but no jacks. I later added a couple of jacks, and used
an 8-ohm speaker to find the active pair.
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

"The government of the United States is not, in
any sense, founded on the Christian religion."