Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Sanyo Eneloop batteries and charger: Work for Texas Instruments 84 calc?

That depends upon what power level you run the radio. I found that
out in the mid 1990's with the Ray-O-Vac rechargable alkelines.
Everything I had, except flashlights, only worked for one or two charges
before they could not put out enough current to be of any use.

In general, alkalines seem to be a poor choice for high-discharge
applications. Digicam owners have discovered this independently...
most digital cameras will "kill" alkalines quite quickly. I believe
I've read that the rechargeable alkalines were even worse in this
regard... their ESR rose significantly after a few charge/discharge
cycles. So, I don't find your experience at all surprising.

Alkalines were traditionally well-suited for high-drain applications. But
the Ray-O-Vac rechargeables had significantly higher internal resistance and
didn't handle high drain very well.