Tim Simmons

Default Most dangerous tool in shop

"Doug Miller" wrote in message
y.com...
In article , Abe

wrote:
In article m,
says...
On Wed, 27 Aug 2003 09:02:12 -0500, "Sweet Sawdust"
wrote:

I do own a...osculating sander.

Do you osculate with this sander while it's plugged in?

That would definitely make this one the most dangerous.

LOL! Well, better osculation than fellation.

Or even worse, http://www.darwinawards.com/stupid/stupid1997-10.html

Tim S.:

I doubt a M.D. wrote this considering the grammar used.

"One morning I was called to the emergency room by the head ER nurse. She
directed me to a patient who had refused to describe his problem other then
to say..."

"...then to say..."?

Also, the size seems unbelievable.

"After I asked the nurse to leave us, the patient permitted me to remove his
trousers, shorts, and two or three yards of foul-smelling, stained gauze
wrapped about his scrotum, which was swollen to twice the size of a
grapefruit and extremely tender."

Twice as big as a grapefruit? Maybe not impossible but it just sounds like
another Internet tale to me. Oops, another "then" when he should have used
"than"...

"Convalescence was uneventful, and before his release from the hospital less
then a week later, the patient confided the rest of his story to me."

This is not the work of a medical doctor (or maybe it is and the typist is
actually committing the grammar errors in the transcription process). It is
probably someone who is in med school (or dropped out) who wanted to add to
the fiction floating around the Internet.

"When his scrotum suddenly became caught between the pulley-wheel and the
drive-belt, he was thrown into the air and landed a few feet away."

Um, excuse me, but physics would not allow that to happen. The force would
rip the skin away before lifting 150-200 pounds of human completely off the
ground and hurling him a yard away. This is pure hyperbole whether the
story is true or not. He may have fell and went in the direction of the
pulling instinctively.

The site says it's confirmed true by Darwin. Maybe so but I just doubt it
due to the grammar and exaggeration contained in it.

Apparently, others have "verified" the story but to really do so would
require viewing the actual medical records (which apparently wasn't done on
that site or the one that lists urban legends and hoaxes).

Here's what they say though.

Origins: Ow! The above article did indeed appear in the July 1991 issue of
Medical Aspects of Human Sexuality, submitted by the physician who treated
the victim. We tracked down the doctor to obtain verification [yeah, that's
like asking the Pope if God exists] and further details about the unusual
injury, and he replied as follows:

Dr. William A. Morton, Jr., M.D.
I am now retired, but submitted the article; treated the patient about 20-25
years ago and have had phone calls from all corners of the U.S. ever since.
A xerox is on the billboard in practically every army post, college dorm,
men's club, etc. I've had interviews/phone by talk-show hosts, etc. No Phil
Donahue yet!
The man actually came to me 3 days post-injury when the fever, swelling, and
pain of secondary infection frightened him. Though unlikely, tetanus was
even a possibility. He was not that impressed with the pain of the moment of
injury - it happened so quickly, like losing your fingertip to a band-saw -
and was unaware his left testis was probably propelled up into the rafters
of the machine shop where he worked.
Every man who questions me imagines the initial pain to have been intense,
but should realize that once the testis had been ripped out (gasp!) there
was not the continuing discomfort one would experience from a first-class
kick in the nuts!
I saw him again 5 years later in the hospital for a non-urologic problem.
Incidentally, the Navy has left xeroxes in every bar along the Mediterranean
from Gibraltar to Tel Aviv - my son's girlfriend saw one in Greece 2 years
ago.

Just because he submitted an article doesn't mean it happened and the
timeframe (20-25 years later) is suspicious to me.

Just my thoughts.

Anybody with me on this? heheheheheheheh

Tim