Posted to alt.home.repair
TWayne TWayne is offline

Default really old phone lines

TWayne wrote:
On Sun, 24 Aug 2008 17:37:52 GMT,
(wendylee815) wrote:

-------------------------------------

we just bought this house and want to put a phone in the
kitchen..unfortunatly, the wires are bare....now we bought the jack
and went to install it, and found that there are only three wires
coming out of the hole, red, green and yellow..no black,,,
how can we install this new jack to an old line that has only the
three colored wires?

More than likely, all you need are the green and red wires. The
black and yellow wires would be used for a second line if you had
one. In a normal residential system, they are not used, even though
they may be hooked to terminals as if they are.

A telco will NEVER use the yellow and black lines for a second line
with a normal RJ-11 installation. Those are for lights and grounds
in key systems, etc..

Wrong. It is quite common. Most recent time I ran across it was in
this very house, where the kid's bedrooms were wired with yellow and
black to the center conductors. Pre-cellphone era, Mama Bell heavily
sold getting a second line for the kids. Was also quite common with
roommates sharing a house (like at college) and wanting private lines
to talk to their sweeties, and to make sure there was no question
about who pays LD charges. (Back in school, I used to do a lot of
moonlight phone wiring for young ladies. Nothing illegal, mind you,
just putting outlets where they wanted them.)

I didn't mean it was illegal; I SAID, the TELCO will not wire a
residential RJ-11 that way. Read!