Posted to alt.home.repair
TWayne TWayne is offline

Default really old phone lines

On Mon, 25 Aug 2008 12:24:11 -0400, "TWayne"
wrote:

[snip]

More than likely, all you need are the green and red wires. The
black and yellow wires would be used for a second line if you had
one. In a normal residential system, they are not used, even though
they may be hooked to terminals as if they are.

A telco will NEVER use the yellow and black lines for a second line
with a normal RJ-11 installation. Those are for lights and grounds
in key systems, etc..

A lot of the materials I've seen (including wiring diagrams for jacks)
say yellow/black is for a second line. Also, if you have a third pair,
blue/white for a third line.

Hmm, please cite your source? I'd like a look at them for myself. I'm
wondering if you aren't mixing up different RJ families of connectors or
something or whether something has changed. At least from CFR data on
the 'net, nothing has changed so it would have had to have happened
within the last say two to three years at the most. But there are of
course, multi-line phone jacks and cabling required to cable them up.
But you can't plug a "normal" telephone into them; they're made for
special equipment.
Blue/White for what it's worth is part a large jack/connector
combination and nothing you would ever find in the home or even stores
that sell phone equipment unless they also sold key sets, PBXs and what
not. I've never even seen pure blue here in the states; only in the UK.

TIA,

Twayne

I don't know about key systems, but aren't the lights (that use
yellow/black) obsolete?