Posted to alt.home.repair
TWayne TWayne is offline

Default really old phone lines

In article ,
wrote:
On Mon, 25 Aug 2008 19:27:51 +0000 (UTC),

...snipped...
Since the late 70s, all interior wiring belongs to the consumer. You
don't get anything at telco expense anymore. I also haven't seen an
interior phone wired by a real telco installer repairman in years
either. They are usually contractors who are basically clueless.
Back before the US v ATT decision if you had 2 lines, they ran 2
cables or a 25 pair if you were in an office that might get a call
director phone. BSP said you did not run 2 lines in one cable without
using twisted pair.

IF the telco installed a demarc box, that is true. However, at least
in my area, a lot of homes were missed. If the owner of such a home
calls for a line problem today, the telco is required to repair the
line even if it is inside the home, at least up to the junction
blocks installed
by the phone company back in the ancient past. That is where you will
find the funky repairs I was describing. The technicians who make
these repairs may well be contractors for the telephone co, I don't
know.
The telco won't install a demarc box on such a home without a lot of
persuasion. I guess their bean counters figure it is cheaper to just
repair the wiring, than to repair the wiring AND install the box.

Is that still true today about no demarc? Where are you located? I'm
curious. I was under the impression if there wasn't a modern demarc
box, or if there wasn't one, they were required to install one. The new
demarcs also have the advantage of getting rid of the old 600V gas tubes
in favor of better components for the first-level surge protection.
What bothers me about that is that even if there is no demarc box,
the demarcation point is still considered to be the wall where the
wiring enters from outside and from that point on it's the customer's
responsibility. From my experience, knowledge the demarcation point can
never go inside a building's walls without special waivers etc. for
factories, etc. where outside access would be dangerous or impossible
for whatever reason. An example would be a prison but there are lots of
others. And they require 24/7 access to the demarcs.

Strange

Cheers,