Posted to alt.home.repair
TWayne TWayne is offline

Default really old phone lines

On Mon, 25 Aug 2008 12:57:04 -0400, "TWayne"
wrote:

On Mon, 25 Aug 2008 12:24:11 -0400, "TWayne"
wrote:

On Sun, 24 Aug 2008 17:37:52 GMT,
(wendylee815) wrote:

-------------------------------------

we just bought this house and want to put a phone in the
kitchen..unfortunatly, the wires are bare....now we bought the
jack and went to install it, and found that there are only three
wires coming out of the hole, red, green and yellow..no black,,,
how can we install this new jack to an old line that has only the
three colored wires?

More than likely, all you need are the green and red wires. The
black and yellow wires would be used for a second line if you had
one. In a normal residential system, they are not used, even
though they may be hooked to terminals as if they are.

A telco will NEVER use the yellow and black lines for a second line
with a normal RJ-11 installation. Those are for lights and grounds
in key systems, etc..

You are wrong. This is very common in residential installations.
People have a second line for the kids or whatever and it goes on
the yellow and black wires.

You can't read: READ what I said: "A telco will ... ". Using those
wires for a phone line can of course be done. ANY wires could be
used. But you'll never get a telco to work on them ever again; all
they would offer to do would be to rip it out and replace it with
properly wired system.
Up your reading comprehension skills. Hell, I could use 10 ga
green wires if I wanted to. But come back to earth Scottie.

You are still wrong. The telco uses yellow/black for a second line in
residential installations. It would make no difference who does the
inside wiring, as the telco would still be the ones to wire it THAT
WAY where it enters the house. If you take apart any modern analog
2-line phone, you will discover that it is MANUFACTURED to expect the
second line to be on the yellow/black pair. Gee, I wonder why?

Please also not that when JK wire is diagramed, the wires are labeled:

green =tip 1
red=ring 2
black= tip 2
yellow ring 2

Case CLOSED

You're bound determined to justify it aren't you? What you showed is
not a RJ-11 jack which is what would be used in the home. If you plug
any residential phone into a jack such as you described, it will not
work from the yellow/green wires. It will work from the tip/ring pair
at pins 3 & 4 ONLY. You also left out pins; there are 8 on the wiring
you showed, which is shown incorrectly. Telephones do not come with
some wired for pins 3 & 4 and others wired for other pins: In fact,
very often the silver & gray telephone cables only consist of 2 actual
conductors.

If you were to try to use the yellow/black for tip & ring, you would
have to terminate those wires in hte jack the phone connects to at the
normal positions in the box for the red/gree pair. so the yellow wire
would go where it says red and the black to where it says green.
Clearly wrong.

If a telco wires in a 2-line system, they will not use 6-conductor
standard phone cable but will use 8 conductor instead, and 8 pin RJ
jacks vs the 6 pin RJ11 jacks. The specs dictate that so that, where
the wires are no longer twisted within the jacket of the cable, a
distance can be maintained between them to keep line to line crosstalk
from occurring.

I detest misinformation and especially when it comes from some moron who
guesses at what the rules and regs say and want to justify their own
existance by giving incorrect information. Whether you looked up "tip"
and "ring" or just think they were handy buzz words, they are very real
and have distinct meanings within the installations. You CAN connect
another line to the black/yellow pair, but then you'll have some phones
that don't work and need rewiring at the box, and a very good chance of
crosstalk between the two lines, especially since I doubt you would know
how to keep non-twisted sections short and the rest of the things any
novice installer would know.
If youwant the nitty gritty it exists in the CFR, Title 47, Part 68.
Go educate yourself or quit giving out misinformation that can cause
other people problems.

NOW the case is closed because I've no more food for you to troll on;
you're on your own.