Posted to rec.woodworking
Jimbo Jimbo is offline

Default Screws - particle board vs. construction

On Aug 26, 11:03*am, Chris Friesen wrote:
Jimbo wrote:
In the past, I've always used particle board screws (coarse thread,
narrow shift, countersunk head nibbed on underside) for kitchen
cabinet case construction. *Recently, I've noticed that construction
screws are very similar - even identical - and more widely available.
Is there any significant difference between the two types that I am
missing?

Particle board screws tend to have thin but wide threads (so they "cut
in" and hold better in fragile materials like PB and MDF). *"Standard"
wood screws tend to have narrower threads, but I'm seeing more and more
construction screws that look similar to particle board screws.

I've used construction screws in ply/mdf/PB and solid wood.
Noncommercial use, but it seems to be holding up fine. *I like the Spax
and Robertson brands, but haven't tried McFeeleys since I live up in Canada.

Chris

Since I also live in Canada, I always seem to end up with Paulin
screws! Anyway, it seems like construction screws can be used
instead of particle board screws. So really its a matter of selection
and cost.