Posted to rec.woodworking
Chris Friesen Chris Friesen is offline

Default Screws - particle board vs. construction

Jimbo wrote:
In the past, I've always used particle board screws (coarse thread,
narrow shift, countersunk head nibbed on underside) for kitchen
cabinet case construction. Recently, I've noticed that construction
screws are very similar - even identical - and more widely available.
Is there any significant difference between the two types that I am
missing?

Particle board screws tend to have thin but wide threads (so they "cut
in" and hold better in fragile materials like PB and MDF). "Standard"
wood screws tend to have narrower threads, but I'm seeing more and more
construction screws that look similar to particle board screws.

I've used construction screws in ply/mdf/PB and solid wood.
Noncommercial use, but it seems to be holding up fine. I like the Spax
and Robertson brands, but haven't tried McFeeleys since I live up in Canada.

Chris