Posted to alt.home.repair
Larry W Larry W is offline

Default really old phone lines

In article , TWayne wrote:
...snipped...
A telco will NEVER use the yellow and black lines for a second line
with a normal RJ-11 installation. Those are for lights and grounds
in key systems, etc..

...snipped...
You can't read: READ what I said: "A telco will ... ". Using those
wires for a phone line can of course be done. ANY wires could be used.
But you'll never get a telco to work on them ever again; all they would
offer to do would be to rip it out and replace it with properly wired
system.
Up your reading comprehension skills. Hell, I could use 10 ga green
wires if I wanted to. But come back to earth Scottie.

Maybe that should read "a telco _should_..." I have seen telco technicians
do all kinds of things in residential wiring, including using black/yellow
pairs, even green/black or red/yellow, or most any other permutation,
if it helps them avoid stringing a new wire at telephone co. expense.
I've seen them use wire nuts or twisted wires covered with electrical
tape to make their connections. Of course, when it is at the consumer's
expense, then they insist on doing everything up to standards. Please don't
generalize what is probably best practice to what is actually being
done the field.