Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Refrigerator dies - try to fix or get a new one?

dgk wrote:
I'm guessing, with no real knowledge, that the compressor went. There
was a burning smell, the fuse blew, and when I ran an extension to the
refrigerator to get that working, smoke came from the big black thing
at the bottom. So, I'm guessing compressor. Is that likely?

If so, a new compressor is around $180, much cheaper than a new
refrig. The parts guy (Sears) says that anyone can replace the
compressor, that I can get a do-it-yourself guide for $15.

A new model would be around $600 and a big pain. Is replacing a
compressor so hard?

In my area we have used appliance dealers
who pickup, deliver and haul off. You may
do well to find one in your area, tell him
the problem and you could make out with a
trade in of your dead fridge. The last repair
I priced out for a good customer was $250.00
to replace the computer board in a late model
GE fridge that had cost them $1200.00 a few
years ago. In their case the repair was worth
it.

[8~{} Uncle Monster