Posted to alt.home.repair
phil scott phil scott is offline

Default Refrigerator dies - try to fix or get a new one?

On Aug 25, 5:26*am, dgk wrote:
I'm guessing, with no real knowledge, that the compressor went. There
was a burning smell, the fuse blew, and when I ran an extension to the
refrigerator to get that working, smoke came from the big black thing
at the bottom. So, I'm guessing compressor. Is that likely?

If so, a new compressor is around $180, much cheaper than a new
refrig. The parts guy (Sears) says that anyone can replace the
compressor, that I can get a do-it-yourself guide for $15.

A new model would be around $600 and a big pain. Is replacing a
compressor so hard?

I used to be in domestic refrig business 30 years ago, since then in
the larger commercial and industrial applications. replacing a
compressor takes special skills and tools (vacuum pump, oxy acty
torch, proper refrigerant charging aparatus etc).. further a replaced
compressor has a much shorter life than a new one due to contamination
introduced when changing the the compressor... if the old one burnt
out its internal windings it is toast, too contaminated to consider
replacing the compressor... clean up is possible but a costly
nightmare, no guarantees either.

id buy a new one.

There is a chance that if you saw smoke its not an internal compressor
problem but the compressors external 'start relay and capacitor' ..
give sears the model number of the refrig. order a new start relay and
capacitor kit and replace it.

check first.. if it smoked you will see burnt wiring. ... it could
also be a burnt fan motor, visual inspection should do, see if the fan
blade rotates etc.

compressor replacement takes insight on how the compressor is wired
internally.. its easy to screw up if you are not a tech.

age of refrig... over 10 years forget it entirely, under 5 years maybe
consider repair... under a year it might be worth repair..

Phil scott