Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon Leon is offline

Default Screws - particle board vs. construction

"Jimbo" wrote in message
On Aug 25, 2:01 pm, "Leon" wrote:
"Jimbo" wrote in message

In the past, I've always used particle board screws (coarse thread,
narrow shift, countersunk head nibbed on underside) for kitchen
cabinet case construction. Recently, I've noticed that construction
screws are very similar - even identical - and more widely available.
Is there any significant difference between the two types that I am
missing?

Jim

Construction screws? Are you talking about dry wall screws? If so, use dry
wall screws for drywall, they are typically too lite of a gauge for
furniture and they are way too brittle.

Not drywall screws. Here's a link for construction screws:
http://www.jdcopelandsupply.com/cons...ews-p-156.html

Ok, construction screws, hummm..
To tell you the truth, screws purchased from mail order almost always are
less expensive and much better quality that what you will find a the Borg.
Having said that, I am not at all surprised that you have probably found a
less expensive and better quality screw on line.
My only concern would be if they are actually a quality screw. You might
also look at Mcfeeleys, while a flat head #8 , 1.5" yellow zinc screw will
run you about $150 for 5,000, their screws are typically pretty high
quality. If you are confident in your source you should be good to go.