Posted to uk.d-i-y
Bill[_18_] Bill[_18_] is offline

Default Getting rid of a piano.

In message , George
writes

"Graeme" wrote in message
In message , Bill
writes

About 15 years ago we moved house and thought the old piano would fall
apart in the move, so we bought a second piano at a good price from a
teacher, and put it in the new house.

Slightly off on a tangent, but just how heavy, and difficult to move, is
an upright piano?

My wife would love one (she plays, but does not have a piano), and have
seen them on Freecycle occasionally, but are put off by the imagined (?)
problems of moving, tuning etc.

--
Graeme

About the weight of a car engine.

Our black iron-framed one was heavy. The woodwork included some very
heavy blocks. The second one was a lot lighter with its wood frame. We
are all more or less ground level, and professional removal men had no
trouble with either. They just put their 'dolly' (is it called) at the
right place and rocked the instrument back and forward to jump uo small
steps.

The glue was what failed in the heavy black one. I just had to jack it
up and re-glue blocks together. Then a few weeks settle down and get
somone to tune it.

The OP seemed to be saying that his piano was in tune and had been
'serviced'. We have some keyboard type things here, and they are not the
same. We can't afford anything anywhere near as good as our free piano.
--
Bill