Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Refrigerator dies - try to fix or get a new one?

On Aug 25, 10:47*am, "HeyBub" wrote:
dgk wrote:
I'm guessing, with no real knowledge, that the compressor went. There
was a burning smell, the fuse blew, and when I ran an extension to the
refrigerator to get that working, smoke came from the big black thing
at the bottom. So, I'm guessing compressor. Is that likely?

If so, a new compressor is around $180, much cheaper than a new
refrig. The parts guy (Sears) says that anyone can replace the
compressor, that I can get a do-it-yourself guide for $15.

A new model would be around $600 and a big pain. Is replacing a
compressor so hard?

The choice is not exclusively between a (modest) $600 fridge and a $150
repair.

Check Craigslist for used fridges. Often they are free.

Am I the only one wondering how smoke comes out of a sealed
comrpessor? Also, consider a "free" fridge can cost you $100 a year
more to run.