Posted to alt.home.repair
larry moe 'n curly larry moe 'n curly is offline

Default Refrigerator dies - try to fix or get a new one?

dgk wrote:

I'm guessing, with no real knowledge, that the compressor went. There
was a burning smell, the fuse blew, and when I ran an extension to the
refrigerator to get that working, smoke came from the big black thing
at the bottom. So, I'm guessing compressor. Is that likely?

If so, a new compressor is around $180, much cheaper than a new
refrig. The parts guy (Sears) says that anyone can replace the
compressor, that I can get a do-it-yourself guide for $15.

I think he just wanted to sell you a repair guide, but you can get
factory repair manuals free at www.ApplianceJunk.com. Your Sears was
probably made by Whirlpool.

I don't think I'd trust a Sears parts guy, but I would a Johnstone
Supply parts guy, who'd probably tell you to forget it.

A new model would be around $600 and a big pain. Is replacing a
compressor so hard?

It is if you have to ask.

Here's a table of how much energy various appliances, including
refrigerators, consume annually. Notice that refrigerators made in
1980 consume over twice as much as those made in 2001 (divide the KW-h
figures by 10 to get a rough idea of the cost of energy).

www.cato.org/pubs/pas/html/pa504/pa50400005.html

IOW if your refrigerator is over a decade old, it may make sense to
buy a new one.