Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Refrigerator dies - try to fix or get a new one?

"dgk" wrote in message

I'm guessing, with no real knowledge, that the compressor went. There
was a burning smell, the fuse blew, and when I ran an extension to the
refrigerator to get that working, smoke came from the big black thing
at the bottom. So, I'm guessing compressor. Is that likely?

If so, a new compressor is around $180, much cheaper than a new
refrig. The parts guy (Sears) says that anyone can replace the
compressor, that I can get a do-it-yourself guide for $15.

A new model would be around $600 and a big pain. Is replacing a
compressor so hard?

The parts guy is a liar. Unless you have the proper license to handle the
refrigerant and the proper equipment to do the job right you can't even
start it. The equipment is probably over $1000. Vacuum pump, gauges, etc.
This is not a DIY job.

If the refrigerator is old, it will pay for itself in electricity savings in
a few years. OOH, if may be a capacitor or other modestly priced part.
Trouble is, a service call is probably $100 to diagnose it.

Another thought though, is to call you local appliance dealer. Explain the
situation. He may be willing to check it out and do the repair for normal
cost, but if it is not fixable, he may credit you a portion of that amount
towards the cost of a new fridge. Today, most local dealers belong to
buyer's co-ops and sell at similar prices as the big box stores. They also
offer better service.